Saturday, September 10, 2011

One of the reasons that I worked part time this summer (I taught two online classes) was so I would have more time to paint. Here are some of the drawings that I created - really starting painting when I was in Alabama - right at the end of the summer. I had intended to paint in my studio, but not having been there for 5 years it is really dusty and cobwebby. It would have taken a week to clean it out, so I just set up my easel on the screened in porch at the house. The house is a 1920's farm bungalow, a big wooden house. It was wonderful. I've set up in my kitchen here in Columbia. Don't have a studio here. The kitchen is in renovation process - I started tearing down molding and priming the walls. So I feel ok pinning my drawings on the wall. You have to take time todo the things that are important, and creating is important. It is my sanity, my centering, my outlet, my connection. It is so beautiful that the stuff just pours out of me. That's what it feels like, the same patterns and energy that I've connected with every since I started drawing/painting. Pretty amazing after 20 years. I felt like I hit a block a few years ago - I was not excited by what I was doing. Wanted to create larger paintings - and I did - in my studio in Alabama - but then I moved back to Columbia, SC and didn't have the space again. And started teaching. And I have never been able to teach and paint at the same time - but I'm doing it now. Sort of have to. And that feels good. So, here are some images. Informal images - in process.....

No comments:

Post a Comment